Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dear Daughter

Today I'm nearly a week overdue with you, and although I feel you moving inside me hourly, I feel like I don't even know you yet.  I don't know what you look like, your personality, your preferences, how you eat, how you sleep.  But I know I already love you and I will do anything I can to protect you and take care of you.  I've wanted to meet you for a long time, and even though I'm already waiting longer than I thought I would need to, I'm as excited as ever to welcome you into our family and make us official parents.

It's hard to explain, but I feel that becoming a mother is not only going to completely change my life as I know it now, but make it more complete.  As I sit here waiting for your birthday, I know things will be quite different in a few days, but I still can't imagine exactly how it will be for our lives to revolve around someone else, especially such a small someone.  Yet, there is nothing more that I want to do.

I wish for you so many things.  I hope you get a great mix of traits from your dad and me.  Superficially, I hope you get Wombat's olive skin tone, eyes, and great smile, and my hair, lips, and runner legs. I hope you get from both of us perfect vision, great teeth, strong bones, healthy lungs, and overall athletic condition, so you may pursue anything physically that you want to, free from sickness or hardships.  Mentally, I wish for you your dad's sense of humor, his confidence (but not necessarily his ego ;), his conviction, his energy, his practicality (both with money and life), his patience, and his ability to connect with all types of people.  I wish for you my sensitivity, my ambition, my attention to details, my endurance, my respect (both for yourself and for others), and my gratitude for blessings.

Most importantly, I hope we can teach you the things in life that will make you happiest and give you all the advantages you need to be successful at whatever you try, while simultaneously bringing joy to others as well.

You are already a joy in my life, and ever since the day we discovered we were expecting you, I have felt a sense of peace, happiness, and purpose in my life that I did not have before.  I promise I will love you unconditionally, and I'll always be here for you, even if and when we go through some hard times and decisions down the road.  I know that being a parent requires not only personal sacrifices, but emotional ones that mean I might have to let you fall or suffer consequences on your own, so I will try my best to let you grow by experience when you need to.  I know your father will do a great job as well, and I am so lucky to have found such a great man to be there for you.

I still can't believe I'll be holding you in my arms in less than 3 days.  I can't wait to wish you a happy birthday in person soon, baby girl.  Thank you for making me a mother and showing me what unconditional love at first sight really means.  Love always, MomBug

No comments:

Post a Comment