Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Good:  BugBat passed her non-stress test this morning with flying colors, moving 3-4 times in 20 minutes, and raising her heart rate each time.  She is still surrounded by plenty of fluids and she's measuring approximately 7 lbs 6 oz, according to some quick ultrasound estimates.  Her head is also in a perfect position for birth, facing down and towards my spine.  It's already very low (which explains the bowling ball feeling I've had lately), and my cervix is quite soft, but not dilating any further than past visits yet (1 centimeter, darn it).  It was fun to see her on the ultrasound - her legs look so long already!  They were folded up tight, and I can't help but wonder if she's getting uncomfortable, poor thing.

Bad:  Still no signs of active labor, and I'm scheduled to go in for an inducement on Tuesday, September 13th at 9 pm, so that she will likely be delivered on Wednesday, September 14th when Dr. Dave is on call at Riverside.  Hear that, Bugbat?  Your eviction is in 5 days!

Ugly:  The chance that I'll need a c-section is over 30% if I am induced, since the baby may experience more distress, and since my body may take longer to progress than if I naturally went into labor.  The ugly is also my emotions this week after the fatigue of always being ready and anxious to meet her is beginning to get to me.  Physically I still feel fine (amazingly), but I think I'm getting pre-partum depression from the lack of control in starting labor naturally and the added pressure of an inducement date creeping closer.  Just ask poor Wombat who had to endure my first real breakdown last night when I HAD to have cookie dough from the store because nothing else sounded good at 8 pm, just after he returned from the grocery store an hour earlier haha.  It was so important that crying was the only solution for 20 minutes until I could get some.

His recitation of the "f*** you, hormones!" from "Knocked Up" was also not amusing until after I satisfied my craving with two whole bites, at which time I decided I didn't need any more.


So 5 more days max until we finally meet our little one.....a full month after she has been considered full term haha.  Oh well, a bigger baby is a healthier baby, which is especially good if I need a c-section since it may take up to 4 days for my milk to come in.  I just want to be able to take care of her properly - it will make me sad if I can't hold her and feed her right away, but I'll accept it if it's safer in the long run.  And if I need the surgery, then at least I'll already have a scar for the future tummy tuck I'll want....the important things ;)  Can't wait to finally meet you, little girl, one way or another!


2 comments:

  1. a) didn't recite the famous "F*** you hormones" lines from that movie until today, and that was only after you brought it up first;
    b) I hadn't returned from the store an hour earlier... I had returned from the store 4 minutes earlier, and after chastising me because I'd woken you up by asking you if you wanted me to pick up said sweets (which you unceremoniously told me - in no uncertain terms - "No, I'm sleeping") you told me that I now needed to get you said sweets. You know, just wanted that out there for consistency's sake... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the details don't matter...stop ruining my story!

    ReplyDelete